Our website & contact details are changing for 2019 to www.BioBankOnline.com
Please change your bookmarks and address books!
Heart disease state samples available:
Via our partner clinical biobanks we can provide a wide range of diseased-heart tissue samples.
We can provide, from biorepositories or prospective tissue collections:
- Normal donor hearts (post mortem only)
- Cardiovascular disease tissue specimens, as well as whole hearts and blood vessel biosamples from heart disease donors, including:
- aortic valve stenosis
- cardiac atrophy
- heart bypass operations
- coronary/other calcification
- cardiomyopathy (ischemic and non-ischemic cardiomyopathy, dilated cardiomyopathy)
- coronary fibrosis
- heart failure
- ventricular assist device placement
- cardiac infarction
- cardiac inflammation
- mitral valve (Myxomatous degeneration, myxoid degeneration, fibrosis, cardiac valvulopathy, severe mitral regurgitation, Nodular myxomatous degeneration of cardiac valve,
- myocyte nucleomegaly
- myxoid degeneration
- pacemaker placement
- papillary fibroelastoma (rare)
- heart transplant rejection (rare)
- sarcoidosis of the heart (rare)
- stent placement
- heart wall thickening
Clinical tissue donors:
A wide range of cardiovascular diseases, including those listed above, are available from our clinical tissue donor partner sites. Clinical donors range in age from their 20s (rare) to 80s.
Clinical tissue sample formats:
Samples are often available with FFPE, frozen tissue, plasma, serum and buffy coat available from the same donor, with pathology details and extensive medical history & follow-up information.
Post mortem tissue donors:
Post mortem donors are mostly aged 60+. The shortest interval between death and sampling is 3 hours, but such donors are rare, and increasing the window to 8 or more hours will greatly increase the number of donors available to study.
Post mortem organ/ tissue sample formats:
Whole hearts, cardiac tissue samples and vascular tissue samples are available fresh, frozen or fixed in 10% NBF. A pathology report is not available, although specific clinical reports, such as details of heart-related operations, may be requested.
Organ/ tissue sample types and sizes:
Working with our partner post mortem donor facilities, we can provide:
- whole hearts
- arteries from any location, including the carotid artery, aorta, pulmonary artery
- veins from any location, including carotid vein, pulmonary vein etc
- any surrounding tissues
- a range of heart diseases, such as those listed above
- normal hearts
Please note: these organs and tissue samples are only available for research purposes. The heart specimens we work with are not approved for in vivo, clinical or transplant use. Unfortunately, we can not accept or register potential specimen donors directly; please contact your clinician, hospice or hospital who will be better placed to provide advice regarding how to donate. Thank you.